About Penrose Glass | Glass Manufacturer and Glass Supplier, Australia
This long established family business started way back in 1919, by Albert Victor Penrose and has now expanded its product lines and become even more competitive, and is looking at new markets to conquer.
Despite a move into fully automatic glass cutting and processing, staff numbers have grown from 16 to 30 to cope with the new business.
The new computerised float glass cutting line reduces wastage, eliminates human error and increases production. Similarly the new Bottero laminated glass cutting table turns a formerly cumbersome and lengthy task into a simple one step operation.
Nigel Penrose, who managers the business together with brother Scott, recalls the days when many of the operations now fully automated were carried out by hand. Nigel remembers his father bevelling glass it could take 15 minutes per metre by hand, now the Bavelloni machine takes just one minute to complete 1.7 metres. Now we can not only do more product but can drop prices in some arear.
A new Lenhardt double glazing line means a whole new market for Penrose Glass with Nigel predicting increasing demand as Australians begin to appreciate the noise and thermal control qualities which have long been accepted overseas.
In August of 1996, the company moved to new premises in Phillips Road, Kogarah, with over 35,000 sq.ft. of factory space and 14,000 sq.ft of storage.
With Michael, Nigel's son, now working in the business, four generations of the Penrose family have been involved in the business in Australia and, as Nigel is quick to point out, his greatgrandfather was a glassblower in England so those Penroses must have silica in their veins!.